Ward hails ‘famous win’
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward described tonight’s 2-1 victory over promotion rivals Peterborough as a ‘famous win’.
The U’s conceded in the first minute but came-from-behind for the 11th time this season to equalise through Steven Gillespie and then win it late on through David Mooney.
Victory moves the U’s to within a point of Darren Ferguson’s side and the play-off places.
Ward’s men have now claimed 17 points from losing positions this season – gaining five wins and two draws from games in which they have trailed.
“This is one of those wins people will remember for some time,” enthused Ward.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a famous win because they are a good side.
“There was a major question mark hanging over us after we conceded in the first minute but we stuck at it and defended well.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 4 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
“This is an expensive team we have beaten and I hope the supporters have gone home proud and happy tonight.”
He added: “They were massively on the front foot in the opening 25 minutes but we held on and gave ourselves a chance.
“They say fortune favours the brave, well we were brave tonight and fortune ended up favouring us.
“My boys never wilt – they always stay strong. There is a great attitude about this football club and I hope the supporters recognise that.”