Ward names a 22-man squad
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward named a 22-man senior squad at the close of the permanent transfer window on Tuesday.
Under new Football Association rules, all Premier League and Football League clubs must register a squad of no more than 25 players at the close of each transfer window.
Players that were under the age of 21 at the start of this calendar year do not need to be included in the squad as they are automatically registered, as will be any ‘emergency’ loans the club may make when the loan window opens again next Tuesday.
Football League clubs must include at least 10 ‘homegrown’ players in their squad (eight in the Premier League), the definition of which is a player who spent at least three years with an English or Welsh club before the age of 21.
Colchester United easily passed the above criteria, registering all 22 of their players aged over 21 at the start of the year.
You may also want to watch:
Ward has included long-term knee injury absentees John-Joe O’Toole and Morten Knudsen in his list, with the pair both pushing for a pre-Christmas return, while Norwegian defender Knudsen is the only non ‘homegrown’ player.
– For more on Ward’s scouting mission, see tomorrow’s EADT
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 10 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
COLCHESTER UNITED’s 25-MAN SQUAD
David Mooney (standard loan from Reading)
(Pro players aged under 21 on Jan 1)
Plus scholars including: Craig Arnott, Bradley Hamilton, Freddie Ladapo, Trevor Ajim, Connor Cranmer, Jack Folan, Ross Gilfedder, Ryan Melaugh, Sean O’Sullivan, Tosin Olufemi, Shaun Phillips, Matt Redgrave, Jordan Sanderson, Mason Stewart.