Ward pleased with Elito’s progress
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward says he is pleased with the progress winger Medy Elito is making on loan at fellow League One club Dagenham & Redbridge.
The 20-year-old has scored two goals in four appearances for the Daggers, helping the relegation-battlers to important wins over Yeovil and Carlisle.
Since bursting onto the scene as a precocious teenage talent in Colchester’s relegation season from the Championship, Elito has found his chances limited at the U’s.
The direct-running wideman enjoyed a successful loan spell at League Two side Cheltenham at the end of last season, but U’s boss John Ward says he could still have a future at The Weston Homes Community Stadium.
““I’m really pleased with how he’s getting on,” said Ward. “He’s got a couple of goals and helped them to a result against a team near us last weekend (Carlisle) so that’s even better!
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve spoken to John Still (Dagenham manager) a couple of times and he’s pleased.”
Asked whether Elito could be challenging for a first team place at Colchester when he returns to the club in the New Year, Ward said: “If he’s playing regularly, why not?
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“If our team is firing on all cylinders then we may look at a further loan or whatever, but if not I’ve got a lad that can come back in who has been playing at our level which is brilliant.
“I like Medy, he’s one that needs confidence and I think this will give him that I think knowing that he an play and score and be a bit of a limelight at a football club, whereas here he was kicking his heels a bit here thinking when is my chance going to come? We’ll see what happens.”
Dagenham & Redbridge, still third-bottom of the table, host Peterborough tomorrow.
– For full preview of Bristol Rovers v Colchester United, see tomorrow’s EADT.