Ward praises the “annoyance” impact of Henderson and Gillespie
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward highlighted the “annoyance” factor produced by livewire strikers Ian Henderson and Steven Gillespie, in today’s 1-1 draw against Sheffield Wednesday.
Henderson’s third minute opener, set up by Gillespie, was cancelled out by Miguel Angel Llera’s 52nd minute equaliser for promotion-chasing Wednesday.
Ward said: “Sheffield Wednesday are a very powerful team, and we have matched them.
“They’ve got some big guys in there, so we took a little bit of a chance by playing Ian Henderson and Steven Gillespie at the top end of the pitch.
“Their movement and their annoyance to the big fellows was something I wanted from them.
You may also want to watch:
“They gave Sheffield Wednesday problems and we got a nice early goal.
“We did all right, and I am pretty pleased.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 10 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
“I want my players to enjoy these sort of games, and there was a good approach from my team today, coming after we let ourselves down on Monday (4-1 defeat at Bury),” added Ward.
Wednesday stay third in the table, but are now four points adrift of Sheffield United, who beat Leyton Orient.