Ward praises the “annoyance” impact of Henderson and Gillespie
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward highlighted the “annoyance” factor produced by livewire strikers Ian Henderson and Steven Gillespie, in today’s 1-1 draw against Sheffield Wednesday.
Henderson’s third minute opener, set up by Gillespie, was cancelled out by Miguel Angel Llera’s 52nd minute equaliser for promotion-chasing Wednesday.
Ward said: “Sheffield Wednesday are a very powerful team, and we have matched them.
“They’ve got some big guys in there, so we took a little bit of a chance by playing Ian Henderson and Steven Gillespie at the top end of the pitch.
“Their movement and their annoyance to the big fellows was something I wanted from them.
“They gave Sheffield Wednesday problems and we got a nice early goal.
“We did all right, and I am pretty pleased.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 5 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 6 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 7 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 8 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 9 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 10 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
“I want my players to enjoy these sort of games, and there was a good approach from my team today, coming after we let ourselves down on Monday (4-1 defeat at Bury),” added Ward.
Wednesday stay third in the table, but are now four points adrift of Sheffield United, who beat Leyton Orient.