Ward’s U’s make a winning start
GOALS from Anthony Wordsworth and Clive Platt made it a winning start for new U’s boss John Ward in Saturday’s first pre-season friendly.
Ward fielded two different sides in each half against their Blue Square South opponents, with first-year scholar Shaun Phillips tasting ten minutes of action between the posts and three triallists - Lloyd James, James Walker and Ben Coker - also given the chance to impress.
Kayode Odejayi shot narrowly over the crossbar before the U’s took the lead after 19 minutes, James drifting over a free kick which Wordsworth rose to head home.
Mark Cousins had to get down to save a 25-yard shot from Joe Taribi as Dover tried to hit back, while at the other end James shot over the bar from Steven Gillespie’s right-wing cross.
New signings Brian Wilson and Andy Bond were given their first run out in a Colchester shirt as they came on at half time along with Walker, who partnered Platt in attack.
You may also want to watch:
Bond drilled a long-range effort just wide and then on the hour Ian Henderson sidefooted over the bar after Simon Hackney had pulled the ball back into his path.
Platt headed just over from a corner, but in the 70th minute Platt extended the visitors’ lead, heading home from Henderson’s cross after he had been fed by Wilson.
- 1 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 2 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 7 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Henderson almost got his name on the scoresheet soon after, the Dover keeper making an excellent save.
With 15 minutes remaining Wilson was replaced by Lee Beevers, who missed most of last season through injury, as Ward was able to get a good look at his squad.
Colchester will continue their pre-season build-up when they travel to Scraley Road to face Heybridge Swifts on Wednesday.