Ward says he would ‘jump at the chance’ to sign Freddie Sears again
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward has revealed that he would “jump at the chance” to sign Freddie Sears from West Ham on another loan deal next season.
Talented front-runner Sears has been with the U’s on loan since mid-February, and although he has found it difficult to hold down a regular place in the starting XI, he has looked a danger whenever he has been given the chance.
The 22-year-old has made 10 appearances and netted two goals for the Essex club, having struggled to break into the West Ham team earlier in the season.
“Of course it will all depend on West Ham,” revealed Ward this morning.
“Freddie is their player, but if he’s available to play for Colchester United again, then I’d jump at that chance.
You may also want to watch:
“I like Freddie as a player and he immediately became one of the lads in the dressing room, which is not always easy to do as a loan player.
“I might ask whether Freddie would be available next season,” added Ward.
- 1 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 2 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 4 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 5 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 6 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 7 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 8 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 9 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 10 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
Sears scored a superb goal, the U’s fourth, in a 4-2 home win over Tranmere Rovers last weekend, having netted from the penalty spot in the 1-1 draw against Hartlepool three weeks earlier.
He will be in Saturday’s squad for the final game of the season at Notts County.