Ward says he would ‘jump at the chance’ to sign Freddie Sears again
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward has revealed that he would “jump at the chance” to sign Freddie Sears from West Ham on another loan deal next season.
Talented front-runner Sears has been with the U’s on loan since mid-February, and although he has found it difficult to hold down a regular place in the starting XI, he has looked a danger whenever he has been given the chance.
The 22-year-old has made 10 appearances and netted two goals for the Essex club, having struggled to break into the West Ham team earlier in the season.
“Of course it will all depend on West Ham,” revealed Ward this morning.
“Freddie is their player, but if he’s available to play for Colchester United again, then I’d jump at that chance.
“I like Freddie as a player and he immediately became one of the lads in the dressing room, which is not always easy to do as a loan player.
“I might ask whether Freddie would be available next season,” added Ward.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 4 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 5 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 6 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 9 Suffolk man with sexual interest in children is jailed
- 10 Ipswich Town 0-0 Barrow: Blues fall flat in cup once again
Sears scored a superb goal, the U’s fourth, in a 4-2 home win over Tranmere Rovers last weekend, having netted from the penalty spot in the 1-1 draw against Hartlepool three weeks earlier.
He will be in Saturday’s squad for the final game of the season at Notts County.