Ward: We’ve beaten a really good side
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward hailed his side after they became the first team to win at Dean Court in the league since January 16.
The U’s brought the Dorset club’s 16-match unbeaten home league run to an end courtesy of a hard-fought 2-1 win.
Tom Williams’ stunning free-kick gave them a half-time lead and then, following some superb second half defending, substitute Ian Henderson grabbed what proved to be the winner when he finished off an 80th minute counter-attack.
It was a nervy finish after Steve Fletcher headed home a corner in the 88th minute, but the U’s held out to claim their third away win of the campaign and move up to third in the League One table.
“I’m absolutely thrilled,” said Ward. “We’ve beaten a good side today – and to beat a good side you have to be a good side yourself.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst we’ve not had the possession we’ve had in previous away games, we were thoroughly organised and carried out our game plan nicely.
“The performance can be improved upon, but the pleasing thing is how well we defended. For all their possession it’s not as if Ben Williams has pulled off a string of world class saves to keep us in the game.”
- 1 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 3 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 6 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 7 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
- 8 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 9 Military helicopter recovered after emergency landing in field
– More reaction, including an interview with goalscorer Tom Williams, in Monday’s EADT.