Warriors outlast Southwold in a classic cup clash
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk Chadacre Cup First Round Woodbridge Warriors 42 Southwold 32 Top of the league Southwold faced mid-table Woodbridge in a cup clash for bragging rights, writes Simon Ballard.
The match started with Southwold conceding penalties and allowing the Warriors too much space.
Repeated infringements allowed Clogg to take three points as the home team attacked repeatedly.
Wold scrum half Chippy Middleditch had to box kick a couple of clearances and centre Cemil Duruk put in some hard tackles as the Warriors started to get penalised, allowing Middleditch to kick a penalty and level the scores.
Woodbridge renewed the attack, moving line-out ball quickly cross field for Clogg to be denied wide before a penalty saw No 8 Aldis Salavejs charge twice and Matt Bowman score.
You may also want to watch:
But Southwold were straight back into the home 22, exploiting poor handling and winning a penalty from which lock Tim O’Connell scored.
Wold then stole a line out and played several phases in the Woodbridge 22, forcing some well organised defence from Salavejs who nicked the ball and ran 50 metres with Tim Johnson.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
With the pressure on them Southwold conceded another three points to Clogg and then a further three penalties gave the Warriors an attacking position from which Jeff Buchanan combined with Felix Kibble on the right wing to score.
The league leaders attacked from the restart, and a poor Woodbridge scrum yielded a quick tap for flanker Sherrard Block to score under the posts.
The Warriors bounced back as a rapid move from wing to wing saw Salavejs score after fine carries by Bowman and Norman. Southwold weren’t having any of it and rallied; No8 James Hall battled up field where Duruk punched a hole for Middleditch to set up wing James Barton to touch down.
Down by three at 25-22 with the final whistle looming, Southwold summoned one final effort, forcing a penalty which Middleditch scored to send the match into extra time.
That started with Southwold kicking a penalty to touch and mauling to the line where a penalty try was awarded for collapsing, 32-25 Southwold.
But the Warriors roared back, Bowman and JP Hart scoring tries and Clogg kicking conversions to win a thrilling game.
Next up this weekend - a rematch in the league!