Watch Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ stunning long-range winner for England Under-19s against Germany
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town loanee Ainsley Maitland-Niles scored a stunning long-range winner as England Under-19s beat their German counterparts 3-2 in Bergisch Gladbach near Cologne.
Having led at the break through Sheyi Ojo, the Young Lions had Jonjoe Kenny sent off minutes after the restart but goals from Dominic Solanke and Town’s on-loan Arsenal winger sealed the win, despite the hosts pulling one back late on.
“I haven’t stopped smiling yet,” Maitland-Niles told TheFA.com. “It was a good finish. My focus was on winning the game and helping the team and I’d like to think I did that.
“When you get the ball and think you can hit it, the picture appears in front of you. I adapted my body and made the split-second decision to have a go and luckily it flew into the top corner. It could have gone over the bar but it didn’t and I’m really happy with that.”
The 18-year-old and his team-mates are in action in Croatia in another friendly tonight.
You may also want to watch:
Skip to the 2.50 mark of the video to see Maitland-Niles’s goal.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village