Watch the highlights of Ipswich Town’s thumping 3-1 win against Newcastle United
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town fans will still be smiling following yesterday’s impressive 3-1 victory over Newcastle United at Portman Road – so why not re-live the action now?
Town pressed and were positive from the off and came close to breaking the deadlock when David McGoldrick’s finish from a Tom Lawrence free-kick was ruled pout for a foul (0.10).
The game’s key moment arrived in the 41st minute as Magpies winger Matt Ritchie put a diving header wide from a golden position (0.26).
Within seconds, the Blues were in front after Myles Kenlock dispossessed Ritchie in midfield before sending Lawrence away on a driving run. A last-ditch pass set up Freddie Sears for a cool finish inside a crowded box (0.35).
David McGoldrick then fired over at the end of another direct Blues move just before half-time (0.49).
You may also want to watch:
Newcastle drew level in the 62nd minute after a long ball down the channel took out the advanced Jordan Spence and left winger Christian Atsu scampering into space. Luke Chambers was dragged across, a dangerous delivery just evaded Christophe Berra at the near post and Daryl Murphy ghosted in at the back post for a simple finish against his former club (1.02).
Town took the lead again within seven minutes with a wonderfully worked move. Keepr Karl Darlow’s poor kick was seized upon by Emyr Huws, his quick forward pass found McGoldkrick and Lawrence worked the ball inside to Grant Ward. The latter’s cute reverse pass found Sears and his low cross was converted by the alert McGoldrick at the far post (1.19).
- 1 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 2 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 3 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 7 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 8 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 9 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 10 Mike Bacon: High stake games just as Blues are starting to click
McGoldrick’s impish chip was tipped over the bar (1.35), before the Blues put the icing on the cake in stoppage-time when Huws converted a thumping volley following substitute Brett Pitman’s run and cross (1.48).