Watt a finish! Sanchez strike stuns Stevenage
A STUNNING strike from on-loan forward Sanchez Watt gave Colchester United a richly-deserved 1-0 victory over ten-man Stevenage at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
The Arsenal youngster flashed a 20-yard shot across Steve Arnold and into the far corner, ten minutes into the second half, after good work from fellow loanee Jabo Iberhe.
The goal came out of nothing but was just reward for some enterprising play from the U’s, who saw Arnold deny Ibehre and Gavin Massey with smart saves in the first half.
Filipe Morais brought the best out of U’s keeper Mark Cousins during a scrappy first period, before Colchester stepped up a gear in the second half, Anthony Wordsworth going close with a free kick that hit the bar and Arnold denying Ibehre and Freddie Sears.
At the other end, in a frantic last few minutes, Bondz N’Gala hit the bar with a spectacular overhead kick as the visitors, who lost Anthony Grant for two bookable offences, tried, but ultimately failed, to keep their unbeaten league record intact.
You may also want to watch:
For a full match report and pictures, see Monday’s East Anglian Daily Times.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 6 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 7 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 8 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 9 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- 10 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre