Way is clear for U’s to make Keogh move
The way has been paved for Colchester United to sign defender Richard Keogh after he turned down the opportunity to sign a new deal with Carlisle.
THE way has been paved for Colchester United to sign defender Richard Keogh after he turned down the opportunity to sign a new deal with Carlisle.
The soon-to-be out-of-contract 23-year-old returned from a holiday in Dubai earlier in the week and has informed the Cumbrians that he has rejected their offer of a new two-year deal.
The Essex-born defender – who can play at right-back or centre-half – enjoyed an outstanding 2009/10 campaign, but wants to return south.
Keogh was brought to Brunton Park by new U’s boss John Ward and a move to the Weston Homes Community Stadium would enable him to return to his roots.
You may also want to watch:
Carlisle boss Greg Abbott said: “We made a good offer to Richard and we wanted him to stay, but we felt that he had probably made his mind up the longer this went on.
“We’ve been working away behind the scenes just in case this was the final decision to make sure that we were ready to react.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 5 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 6 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 7 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 8 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight
- 9 Incoming Town CEO Ashton 'set to poach Bristol City head of football operations' - report
- 10 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
“We’re in a position to do that, so all we can say now is that he has been fantastic for us and that we wish him all the best.”
Bristol Rovers have also emerged as possible contenders for his signature, with Carlisle due compensation as he is aged under 24.