Wayne's transfer request rocks U's

WAYNE Brown believes that “the time is right” for him to leave Colchester United.The U's defensive rock handed in a written transfer request yesterday morning, after a long discussion with owner Robbie Cowling.

By Carl Marston

WAYNE Brown believes that “the time is right” for him to leave Colchester United.

The U's defensive rock handed in a written transfer request yesterday morning, after a long discussion with owner Robbie Cowling.

Another Championship club has expressed an interest in signing the 29-year-old centre-half, and even though the U's have so far refused him permission to speak to the interested party, it looks likely that Brown has played his last game for United.


You may also want to watch:


Former Ipswich Town defender Brown still has a year to run on his current contract, but talks over a new deal have failed to reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Brown revealed to the EADT last night: “I've had three fantastic years at Colchester United, and I've enjoyed every minute of my time here.

Most Read

“I think that I've given good service to the club, but now is the right time for me to move on. I want a new challenge.

“I believe that interest has been shown from another club, and I would like to be given the opportunity to speak to them.

“At the moment, I haven't been granted permission to speak to the interested club, but I'm hoping that that situation will change.

“I hope that I've got five or six more good years in me, and so I want to secure a good deal and enjoy my football.

“It is a decision that I haven't taken lightly. I have thought about it, long and hard, over the last few weeks of my holiday.

“I think it's the best thing for me to leave, after what has been a very successful time at Colchester.

“The manager (Geraint Williams) has always said that he wouldn't stand in my way, if I had an offer elsewhere. That was the case when I signed my last contract.

“I'm sure that the manager doesn't want an unhappy player in the squad,” insisted Brown.

U's supporters will be rocked by this latest news, which continues the growing trend of key players exiting Layer Road.

The summer began with striker Chris Iwelumo's move to Charlton Athletic, on a three-year-deal, and was soon followed by loanee Chris Barker's decision to sign for QPR. Assistant manager Mick Harford also moved to Loftus Road as John Gregory's No. 2 last month.

Golden Boot winner Jamie Cureton signed for Norwich City on Friday, for an undisclosed fee, and at the start of this week fellow attacker Richard Garcia switched to Hull City on a three-year contract, as soon as his current Layer Road deal had expired.

Brown's agent, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed that another club had made a bid for the instrumental defender.

He said: “We have been led to believe that a club has made a bid for Wayne (Brown), and Wayne has asked to speak to that club. That opportunity has currently been denied, even though it would be a fantastic opportunity for him.

“This is not a knee-jerk reaction from Wayne. Several weeks of discussions with the club, about his contract and other footballing matters, have proved unproductive.

“Wayne had a meeting with Robbie Cowling in the morning, after which he handed him a transfer request.”

Brown is the fourth-longest serving player at Layer Road. Only skipper Karl Duguid, midfielder Kem Izzet and defender Pat Baldwin have been with the U's longer.

Meanwhile, the U's away match at Wolves, scheduled for Tuesday, November 27, has been put back 24 hours to Wednesday, November 28.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter