‘We are not a club who deserves to be down there’ – Thompson
COLCHESTER United are finding it hard to shrug off the habit of losing, but in Josh Thompson they seem to have unearthed a real gem.
Thompson delivered a man-of-the-match performance in last weekend’s narrow 1-0 defeat at Doncaster Rovers, just five days after signing a permanent contract with the U’s.
The 21-year-old had already showed enough potential, during an initial loan spell from fellow League 1 side Portsmouth, to suggest he could become an established centre-half in League One.
Thompson certainly believes that the U’s, despite a terrible run of eight straight defeats, have too much quality, and resolve, to suffer relegation.
“We are not in a great position,” said Thompson.
You may also want to watch:
“But if we weren’t getting the results and weren’t playing well, that would be a lot worse. Instead, we are playing well.
“I don’t feel like I’m joining a sinking ship. I don’t think anyone who watched this game [at Doncaster] can say they were watching a team in the position we are in.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 7 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
“The fans were clapping at the end, they clapped us off, so they can see what we are doing.
“We are not a club who deserves to be down there.
“We will turn it around. We will make it turn around,” added Thompson.
The U’s face a crunch home game against fellow strugglers Scunthorpe United this Saturday afternoon.
Another defeat would see Joe Dunne’s men establish an unwanted new club record of nine straight losses. It would also condemn the U’s to the relegation zone.