‘We deserved that’, says Simmons after Witches grab point
Newcastle Diamonds 48 Ipswich Witches 42
IPSWICH Witches got their away Premier League season off to a fine start with a battling point at Newcastle.
The Suffolk side were well served by reserve Rohan Tungate and No.1 Leigh Lanham.
The Witches were never more than six points adrift of the north-east team and indeed could still have claimed a draw with a maximum 5-1 in the final heat.
Although that didn’t arrive, Lanham and Mat Tresarrieu made sure at least one point came back down the A1 to Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
Team boss Pete Simmons was pleased with his side’s efforts.
“There aren’t many teams going to come here and get a point,” he said.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 6 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 7 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
“We needed to get something out of the final race and Mat (Tresarrieu) rode a really sensible race, keeping Stuart Robson at the back for a lap.
“That allowed Leigh (Lanham) to get away, but Robson was closing all the time, although he went in a bit too close to Leigh and messed himself up a bit.
“But I have no complaints at all about the way we rode. I thought we were very good, although again we didn’t win enough heats for my liking. We only won six, and we only won five on Thursday against Plymouth.
“But, no complaints.”