“We did not do the basics” – Colchester United boss Tony Humes
Colchester United boss, Tony Humes, believed that his players did not do the basics right, after his side suffered a 4-0 defeat at Fleetwood Town this afternoon.
The U’s were hammered, conceding goals to Jimmy Ryan (24 minutes), David Ball (27), Jamie Proctor (49) and substitute Jamille Matt (86) in a one-sided encounter at Highbury Stadium.
And it could have been even more!
“We were soft at the back, that sums it up,” rued Humes.
“We can do the nice bits of the game, but the bits that really, really matter, absolutely was more than poor today.
You may also want to watch:
“I think it was the basis all afternoon.
“We started the game pretty well, but once we didn’t get the goal, when we were on top for the first 10 to 15 minutes, we then started giving the ball away, not holding it up and people not running for each other.
- 1 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 8 Crash between two motorbikes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
“It was the basics. If you don’t so the basics well, and you don’t work hard enough, unfortunately you get what we received today,” added Humes.