“We haven’t been bullied” – John Ward
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward was impressed with the way his team stood up to the physical test of Preston, on their way to a deserved 3-0 win this afternoon.
A brace from Steven Gillespie, the second a penalty on 52 minutes, and a terrific injury-time goal from substitute Andy Bond earned the U’s a first league double of the season.
“That’s as good a victory as we have had, particularly here, in terms of rewarding the supporters,” enthused Ward.
“There was a really strong atmosphere about the whole game. We were determined to win the game on the pitch, and I think the supporters off the pitch wanted the game won as well.
“We’ve joined together really strongly today, although we have had to work and we have had to fight.
You may also want to watch:
“We stood up to Preston. We haven’t been bullied.
“We also tried to pass the ball, and the final goal (by Bond) put the icing on the cake with the way that we moved,” added Ward.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 A12 closed following serious collision
- 5 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 6 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 10 Air ambulance called to medical emergency