“We haven’t been bullied” – John Ward
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward was impressed with the way his team stood up to the physical test of Preston, on their way to a deserved 3-0 win this afternoon.
A brace from Steven Gillespie, the second a penalty on 52 minutes, and a terrific injury-time goal from substitute Andy Bond earned the U’s a first league double of the season.
“That’s as good a victory as we have had, particularly here, in terms of rewarding the supporters,” enthused Ward.
“There was a really strong atmosphere about the whole game. We were determined to win the game on the pitch, and I think the supporters off the pitch wanted the game won as well.
“We’ve joined together really strongly today, although we have had to work and we have had to fight.
“We stood up to Preston. We haven’t been bullied.
“We also tried to pass the ball, and the final goal (by Bond) put the icing on the cake with the way that we moved,” added Ward.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 6 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 7 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 8 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 9 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 10 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket