“We were naive” – admits Colchester United boss John McGreal after heavy defeat to Portsmouth
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss John McGreal admitted that his side were rather “naive” after today’s heavy 4-0 home defeat to promotion-chasing Portsmouth.
Trailing 1-0 at half-time, to Eoin Doyle’s 21st minute header, the U’s shipped three more goals in the second period with Kyle Bennett (46), Danny Rose (61) and Michael Doyle (73) all on target.
McGreal said: “All credit to (manager) Paul Cook, and Portsmouth. They played very well.
“I thought they were braver than we were.
“We showed our naivety today, especially with that second goal which was a real soft one to concede, just after half-time.
“We started the game well, for the first 10 minutes, but then mistakes crept in and Portsmouth started to get possession.
“This is obviously a bit of a setback, but we are still in a strong position, with 10 games to go,” added McGreal.
- 1 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 2 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 3 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 6 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 7 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 8 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 9 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 10 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder