“We were naive” – admits Colchester United boss John McGreal after heavy defeat to Portsmouth
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss John McGreal admitted that his side were rather “naive” after today’s heavy 4-0 home defeat to promotion-chasing Portsmouth.
Trailing 1-0 at half-time, to Eoin Doyle’s 21st minute header, the U’s shipped three more goals in the second period with Kyle Bennett (46), Danny Rose (61) and Michael Doyle (73) all on target.
McGreal said: “All credit to (manager) Paul Cook, and Portsmouth. They played very well.
“I thought they were braver than we were.
“We showed our naivety today, especially with that second goal which was a real soft one to concede, just after half-time.
You may also want to watch:
“We started the game well, for the first 10 minutes, but then mistakes crept in and Portsmouth started to get possession.
“This is obviously a bit of a setback, but we are still in a strong position, with 10 games to go,” added McGreal.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners