‘We will have to get players out to get players in’ – Colchester United boss John McGreal
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, has admitted that to recruit any new players in January will mean having to off-load players from his current squad.
Decisions have to made with U’s loanees Brandon Comley and Brandon Hanlan, whose respective deals expire next month, while the U’s supremo will be keen to hold onto his hottest property, Sammie Szmodics, during the one-month transfer window.
With Kurtis Guthrie returning to the first-team squad over the festive period, and with fellow long-term injury victims – defender Luke Prosser and Brennan Dickenson – also closing in on returns to competitive action, McGreal’s squad looks a strong one going into the second half of the season.
“We will have to get players out to get players in,” confirmed McGreal, during this lunchtime’s press conference at Florence Park, Tiptree.
And with regards his current loanees, McGreal said: “We will leave it for now and see what happens.”
You may also want to watch:
The U’s, up to fifth in the League Two table, are away at Chesterfield on Saturday.
- 1 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 2 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 7 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 8 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 9 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 10 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move