WEB GALLERY: Pupils have a spring in their step at Stoke High School event
I visited Stoke High School last week and was amazed by some of the acrobatics on display as the best under-16 and 14 trampolinists from the county’s schools convened for the Suffolk Schools (level 3) County Finals.
On average four pupils represented each of the nine schools at the event and after the compulsory routines were completed, I, along with the judges, were treated to a dazzling array of flips, spins, twists and somersaults.
Sir John Leman School won the under-16s event with a total of 143.3 points, very closely followed by Copleston High (142.1) and East Point Academy (138.4).
In the under-14s event, Ipswich Academy took the honours with 142 points and they were followed by Sudbury Upper A (136.2) and Copleston High A (134.9), with Copleston B in fourth.
School Games organiser Ali Furlong said: “We try and get as many young people as possible from schols to take part.
You may also want to watch:
“Some youngsters don’t get the chance to be in team sports so this is their time to shine.
The event was well marshalled by a number of young volunteers who, as part of a BTec qualification, ensured the safety and welfare of the competitors.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 10 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
U16’s event: 1st Place - Sir John Leman - 143.3 pts; 2nd - Copleston High - 142.1; 3rd - East Point Academy - 138.4; 4th - Felixstowe Academy - 136.9; 5th - Sudbury Upper - 132; 6th King Edward - 130.2; 7th - Stoke High - 115.2
U14’s event: 1st - Ipswich Academy - 142; 2nd - Sudbury Upper A - 136.2; 3rd - Copleston High A - 134.9; 4th - Copleston High B - 127.3; 5th - East Point Academy - 126.8; 6th - County Upper - 124.1; 7th - Sudbury Upper B - 121.5; 8th - Sir John Leman - 112.5
The winner of the cup in memory of Lily Webster went to Tom Barley of East Point Academy by a clear margin - he scored 51.3points for both routines.