Adam Webster set to join Bristol City for £3.5m
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town have agreed to sell Adam Webster to Championship rivals Bristol City, with the centre-back currently at Ashton Gate undergoing a medical.
It’s understood that the transfer fee is an initial £3.5m, with various add-on clauses meaning the deal has the potential to rise as high as £8m.
The EADT and Ipswich Star understands that new Blues boss Paul Hurst has been assured by owner Marcus Evans that the funds raised will go straight into his transfer kitty as he looks to mould his own squad this summer.
Webster’s former club Portsmouth will receive a sell-on fee, believed to be 20% of the profit Town have made on the player. That equates to £560k.
He arrived at Portman Road from the League Two side for a fee of £700k, plus highly-rated young defender Matt Clarke, in the summer of 2016 and quickly adapted to life in the Championship.
You may also want to watch:
The 23-year-old was soon being hailed as a Premier League player in the making, but ankle and Achilles injuries have halted his progress over the last 18 months.
FLASHBACK: Self-critical Adam Webster says Premier League speculation is premature (January 2017)
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Bristol City, who finished once place above Town in 11th last season, have moved quickly to sign Webster after selling star man Aden Flint to Middlesbrough for a reported £7m earlier today.
Hurst has already signed England U19 defender/midfielder Trevoh Chalobah on a season-long loan from Chelsea and will need further defensive reinforcements given Luke Chambers is now his only senior centre-back.
The Blues have been linked to Toto Nsiala (Shrewsbury) and Curtis Tilt (Blackpool).