West Brom v Ipswich Town classic games: Wark scores four and debut goal
- Credit: Archant
We take a look at some memorable games against today’s opponents West Brom over the years, including John Wark scoring four and a debut Blues goal.
LAST TIME: It’s been almost ten years since the Blues last faced West Brom at the Hawthorns, with Youssouf Mulumbu and Robert Koren scoring the goals as West Brom beat Town 2-0 in August 2009.
Into the final: Goals from Brian Talbot, Mick Mills and John Wark saw Town beat West Brom 3-1 at Highbury in 1978 to reach the final of the FA Cup and of course the Blues went on to lift the trophy at Wembley.
DEBUT GOAL: Paul Mariner scored on his Town debut in the Blues 7-0 thrasing of West Brom at Portman Road in 1976 as Trevor Whymark scored four on the day too.
WARKY FOUR: In 1982, John Wark scored four goals as the Blues beat West Brom 6-1 at Portman Road in Division One.
You may also want to watch:
QUATER-FINAL WIN: Grant Leadbitter scored from the spot as the Blues beat West Brom 1-0 at Portman Road in the League Cup quarter-final in December 2010.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 3 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 9 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 10 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs