West Ham to cash in on key man
WEST Ham are ready to sell England World Cup keeper Robert Green in the transfer window - if they get the right bid. (Mirror)The cash-conscious Hammers will look to bring in money for Green in January and the word is out among potential bidders that he can go for around �4 to �5 million.
WEST Ham are ready to sell England World Cup keeper Robert Green in the transfer window - if they get the right bid. (Mirror)
The cash-conscious Hammers will look to bring in money for Green in January and the word is out among potential bidders that he can go for around �4 to �5 million.
Green's contract is running out and the club's financial brains think that the time could have come to sell him rather than risk losing him or seeing the international number one buy out the last year of his deal.
The only snag in the plan is that there are not many clubs interested in Green - with Steve Bruce's Sunderland the most likely to make an offer but prefering to swap players.
You may also want to watch:
Hammers want cash to balance their books and offer boss Gianfranco Zola some funds for a replacement, with several possible targets being checked.
Green is unsettled by the current form of his team, criticising them recently for their attitude. He would certainly be open to a transger to keep him in Fabio Capello's good books.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 10 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
The former Norwich City star has been with West Ham for a few years and it could also be the ideal moment for him to try something new. He has shown no signs of extending his deal.
Hammers are aware that there could be a bid in a matter of weeks and their scouts are out and about looking at new keepers. Coach Kevin Keen watched Huddersfield's highly-rated Alex Smithies last week.
However West Ham are also finding that buying a top keeper just now will cost them money - possibly as much as they will fetch for Green. But there would be a major saving on wages.
Hammers are trying hard to reduce their debts ahead of a potential takeover, but also with an eye on keeping their side strong for a tough survival fight ahead.