Westerfield notch up impressive win at Stanton
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Reports from this weekend’s SIL games.
Senior Division Stanton 1 Westerfield United 3
Westerfield picked up the points despite a Stanton fight-back which almost saw them restore parity after being two goals behind.
A cross by Luke Dunn was mis-kicked by Jordan Smith allowing Sam Horn to put Westerfield ahead. A great ball by Ben Frost put Michael Campbell clear but his touch let him down and Westerfield cleared. Ryan Swift hit the post at the other end, while Campbell’s fierce effort cannoned off the bar to safety.
Westerfield went further ahead in the second-half when a four-man move down the left culminated with Jack Larkins cross being headed in by Dan Brkovic. Campbell latched on to Kieran Disdle’s ball and fired low beyond Josh Silburn but Westerfield made the game safe when Connor Davey turned the ball past his own ‘keeper.
Crane Sports 1 Capel Plough 2
The visitors picked up their first win of the season after a hard-fought game against last season’s champions who missed several chances and found it difficult to break down a resolute defence.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
- 9 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 10 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
The opening goal came just before the break when Miles Donovan headed in a Barrett corner. Cranes pushed forward after the interval with Tynan clearing a Blades shot off the line and Lyndon Alexander and Tye Webb shooting wide before Nathan Woolard equalised from the penalty spot with an hour played.
Daniel Alderson put the visitors back in front after 75 minutes when he went past two defenders and slotted into the corner.
Bramford United 3 Wickham Market 0
Bramford took the lead after only four minutes, when Cowan’s lofted ball beat ‘keeper King.
Cowan made it two just before the break when he rounded King to score
Bramford pushed forward early in the second half increasing their lead on 58 minutes when Dodsworth through ball found Alexander who cross saw Golding in space on the right his shot in being palmed onto the near post by King with Murphy slotting home the loose ball. The remainder of the second half saw both teams squander chances with both keepers making some fine saves.
Wenhaston United 0 East Bergholt United 1
East Bergholt took the points with an injury time goal after Wenhaston appeared to have frustrated the visitors with resolute defending and an excellent display by their new custodian Louis Ayres.
Bergholt had plenty of attacking opportunities with Aaron Skeggs the architect but chances were regularly passed over with new signing Ed Milner heading over and Tom Wilson scuffing his shot from close in.
The visitors continued to press and Skeggs quality cross was headed downwards by Watkins but cleared off the line.
Wenhaston improved but having appeared to have denied Bergholt, Skeggs crossed to Andrew Newman who prodded home.