Westerfield United stay top of Senior Division


- Credit: James Ager

The weekend’s action from the Suffolk & Ipswich League

Senior Division Westerfield United 3 Leiston St Margarets 2

Westerfield United continue to top the SIL Senior Division after defeating Leiston St Margarets 3-2 on Saturday.

Both sides started brightly with Ryan Noy just unable to find the onrushing Adam Phillips for Saints, while a similar ball from Richardson evaded Westerfield’s attackers.

Jack Allen then made a great tackle to halt Phillips in his tracks, before Tane Backhouse saw his free-kick just go over.

The Swans opened the scoring when Luke Dunn met Richardson’s free-kick with a left-foot volley.

Sam Horn put Westerfield further ahead with a thumping shot from close-range after a great cross from Daniel Wade.

Most Read

Wade then looked to have put the result beyond doubt when he curled in from 25 yards, but Saints had other ideas and pulled a goal back when Phillips lashed into the bottom corner.

Phillips again went close when his snapshot clipped the top of the bar, before scoring again in the dying seconds, but it was too little too late.

Capel Plough 2 Bramford United 0

The home side recorded their seventh consecutive win after another excellent display against a Bramford United team who played well after the break, but missed the chances that came their way.

Capel dominated the first half, taking a fourth-minute lead when a long throw from Chris Wall was slotted home from close range by Chris Stewart.

Both Gary Collins and Shaun Webb headed inches wide from free-kicks before the visitors went close when Tom Williams did well to save a shot from Dale Munson.

The second goal came after 35 minutes when keeper Kai Algar was unable to hold a powerful 40-yard free-kick from Stephen Morrison and Webb headed home the rebound.

After the break, Nick Middlebrook missed two good chances, while at the other end Munson fired wide and Keiran Dilloway had an effort saved.

Jamie Cowan had a 30-yard shot saved before Algar dived full length to tip a Morrison free-kick round the post as play was end to end.

Grundisburgh 1

Haughley United 0

Grundisburgh ended their dismal home record of eight months without a home win, narrowly defeating Haughley 1-0.

The springboard was a great defensive performance by goalkeeper Matty Ray and defenders Matthews, Leparvlo, Oxborough and the returning Reid.

Josh Trenter burst from the middle to fire wide before Thomas Jackson missed a great chance for Grundisburgh, shooting at the legs of Aaron Mayhew when clean through.

The last kick of the first half saw Ryan Beeston cross for Ryan Wragg to hit first time, but Ray pulled off a fantastic save.

Grundisburgh grabbed the winner in the 78th minute when Leparvlo’s free-kick was flicked on by Chris Grey and Trenter volleyed home.

Wragg almost rescued a point, but for the brilliance of Ray.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter