Westley Middle win battle of basketball teams
Schools from Woodbridge and Stowmarket were amongst the finalists at the Under-11s (year 5 and 6) County Basketball finals.
Bacton Middle School (Stowmarket) finished fifth and St Mary’s (Woodbridge) were sixth in the tournament which was held at Bury Leisure Centre last week.
A total of 75 schools took part in the early rounds with the final eight teams meeting last Tuesday to determine the best team in the county.
That award went to Westley Middle School, in Bury St Edmunds, after they Breckland (Brandon), 12-10 after a golden basket.
The third and fourth place play-off game was won by Uplands School from Sudbury as they saw off the challenge of Hardwick School (Bury), 14-6.
You may also want to watch:
The finals were held with support from Abbeycroft Leisure.
As an Olympic sport and also with an increased profile through the new government School Games initiative, basketball in Suffolk Schools continues to thrive.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 8 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
This year student, Chloe Baker, 20, from Bury took the lead in liaising and organising the competition as good experience for her Leisure and Events Management degree course.
She also recruited competent young leaders from County Upper, King Edwards, Mildenhall, West Suffolk College and Copelston school to help with the officiating.
The event also saw several girls and boys recruited to play for Suffolk in Nottingham on June 16.
Final positions: 1st Westley, 2nd Breckland, 3rd Uplands, 4th Hardwick, 5th Bacton, 6th St Mary’s, 7th East Bergholt, 8th Halesworth