Whitton United sign four new players for new Thurlow Nunn Premier campaign
- Credit: Archant
Whitton United are making good strides in the transfer market as they prepare for life in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Manager Paul Bugg has made a number of additions to his squad, ahead of the new campaign which kicks off at Haverhill Rovers on August 9.
Liam Whittaker, Jamie Clark, Jerrell Laine and Craig Skip have all moved to last season’s Division One champions, while Bugg is also hoping to secure the signatures of two or three more targets.
Bugg said: “We have brought in Liam Whittaker who was Brightlingsea’s top goalscorer in 2012/13 and comes with a proven pedigree.
“He turned down Clacton so we must be doing something right at the club.
“Jamie Clark is returning to the club after playing under Ian Brown four seasons ago and gives us more flexibility as he can play full-back or up top.
“Craig Skip was club captain at Diss Town and Thetford last season and has Premier Division experience, while Jerrell Laine also played for the club under Ian (Brown) and can play in a number of positions.”
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 5 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 6 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 7 Body of man found in Saxmundham
- 8 Three suspected cases of Omicron at Bury St Edmunds schools
- 9 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 10 'I apologise for the misunderstanding' - Nsiala issues statement
Bugg is also delighted to have secured the future of Ethan Clarke, the United manager describing him as the league’s best left-back, as well as a number of other familiar faces to the King George V Playing Fields.
Bugg added: “We have retained the best left-back in the league in my opinion.
“Ethan turned down a number of approaches from clubs in higher divisions, who were offering a lot more money. I am delighted he has stayed.
“We have Anton Clarke who has also committed, along with Liam Jones and Chris Williams, who was our top scorer (34 goals) last season.
“We have got 10 players from last season’s squad, we have made a few additions and now we are looking to bring in a few more.”
Those who have left Whitton include Tom Bradlaugh, Josh Capocci and Josh Cheetham who have all signed for Thurlow Nunn Division One side, Stowmarket Town.
As well as being in a division higher this season, Whitton will also be defending their Suffolk Senior Cup title this season.