Williams arrives as defensive back-up
COLCHESTER United have signed Bristol City player Tom Williams on loan as temporary defensive cover.
The versatile 30-year-old arrives on a one-month loan deal and will act as temporary back-up for Marc Tierney, who is today seeing a specialist over a potentially dislocated left shoulder.
John White can deputise at left-back, but he is required to cover injured right-back Brian Wilson who is likely to miss at least three more matches with ankle ligament damage.
Williams’ third spell at Peterborough was brought to an end this summer when he was released by the club.
After a pre-season trial at Bristol City he signed a six-month contract at Ashton Gate this summer but is yet to make an appearance for the Championship club.
You may also want to watch:
Williams began his career at non-league club Walton & Hersham before being snapped up by West ham for �40,000 in 2000. He failed to make an appearance for the Hammers though and, after a successful loan spell, joined Peterborough the following year.
A successful first season at Posh led to him being signed by Birmingham City for a fee of �350,000, but his career stalled at St Andrews and after two loan spells at QPR he was eventually sold back to Peterborough in 2004.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 6 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 7 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 8 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
The versatile defender/midfielder then proceeded to change clubs on a season-by-season basis, going from Barnsley to Swansea and then Wycombe.
He rejoined Peterborough in 2008 for a third time where, amongst loan spells to QPR and Preston North End, he made 40 appearances before being released.
London-born Williams qualifies to play for Cyprus through his mother and has one international cap to his name. He is married to former glamour model and ‘I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here’ contestant Nicola McLean.