Williams targets striker and defender
COLCHESTER United boss Geraint Williams is on the look-out for two new signings before the end of this month.The Welshman is in the market for a new striker, and an extra defender, before the transfer deadline kicks in on August 31.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United boss Geraint Williams is on the look-out for two new signings before the end of this month.
The Welshman is in the market for a new striker, and an extra defender, before the transfer deadline kicks in on August 31.
The U's will be the first-ever visitors to Shrewsbury Town's New Meadow Stadium for a competitive match, when they clash in a Carling Cup first round tie this evening (kick-off 7.45pm).
You may also want to watch:
Williams' squad was severely stretched by injuries over the weekend, and the same will be the case at League Two hosts Shrewsbury.
“We looked a bit light on the bench at Sheffield. I had no out-and-out striker to bring on, because of two injuries in the same position. That really hurts us,” admitted Williams.
- 1 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 2 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 5 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 7 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 8 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 9 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 10 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
“We need alternatives. I want to bring in a couple of additions. I want another striker and one more defensive player.
“We have Bela (Balogh) to come in, but you can't have too much good competition in a squad.”
The front-running duo of Kevin Lisbie (sore ankle) and Jamie Guy (thigh strain) both sat out the 2-2 draw at Sheffield United, while Teddy Sheringham is unlikely to play another full 90 minutes this evening after his heroic efforts at Bramall Lane. Furthermore, target man Clive Platt starts his three-match suspension against Barnsley on Saturday.
Williams is also looking for a suitable replacement for centre-half Wayne Brown, who joined Hull City in a £450,000 deal during the close-season.
Arsenal loanee Matthew Connolly impressed alongside Pat Baldwin on Saturday, but there was no other back-up in central defence. Hungarian international Balogh is on the comeback trail after suffering a broken nose.