Winners of Ipswich Town v Southampton replay will host Crystal Palace in FA Cup fourth round
- Credit: Archant
The winners of next Wednesday’s FA Cup third round replay between Ipswich Town and Southampton, at Portman Road, will host Crystal Palace in the fourth round.
Town – second in the Championship table – produced a battling performance to claim a 1-1 draw at St Mary’s on Sunday, the Saints currently fourth place in the Premier League.
Palace are currently 18th in the top-flight, the Eagles having recently recruited Alan Pardew, from Newcastle, as their new manager following Neil Warnock’s sacking.
There’s potential for popular former Town loanee Jonny Williams, just getting back to full fitness after injury, to line-up against the Blues team he enjoyed two productive temporary spells at last year.
Ipswich have fallen at the first hurdle in the FA Cup in seven of the previous 10 seasons. The last time the club made it to the fifth round was in 2006/07, when they were eventually knocked out by Watford.
You may also want to watch:
Should they win the replay against Southampton, Town’s scheduled league match at Brighton on Saturday, January 24 would have to be rescheduled. Should Town get knocked out they would have a blank weekend as Brighton have already booked their place in the fourth round with a 2-0 win at Brentford.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 9 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 10 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk