Wins for JAFFA duo of Fiddaman and Bird on home soil
- Credit: Victah Sailer
Ipswich JAFFA completely dominated their home event in the 53-12 Cross Country League, held at an ice-cold Wherstead last Sunday, claiming individual and team victories.
JAFFA extended their overall lead at the top of Pool A to two points, from Colchester Harriers, after four of six events.
Craig Fiddaman enjoyed his first victory in the league, on his home course.
JAFFA runner Fiddaman, who was fifth at the Suffolk County Championships earlier this month, finished ahead of runner-up Robert Reason, of Harwich, and third-placed James Smith, from Springfield Striders.
Paul Wain was JAFFA’s second scorer in fourth slot, followed by Allen Smalls, who was the leading Colchester Harrier in fifth.
You may also want to watch:
Fellow Harrier Angus Holford had been destined for fourth place with a mile to go, before he suffered an injury.
A quartet of JAFFA runners filled the next four places, spearheaded by Danny Rock (sixth), Mark Clements, Keith Tilley and Ben Turley.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 5 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 6 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 7 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 10 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
Harriers’ Anthony Barraclough was 10th, with Mark Finbow the leading competitor for Witham in 11th.
Meanwhile, JAFFA claimed a one-two in the ladies’ race, which was staged over the same five-mile course – the event’s headquarters was at the Suffolk Food Hall.
Sara Bird triumphed ahead of her JAFFA club-mate Laura Thomas, while Hadleigh Hares’ Davina Greenwell finished third.
JAFFA’s Georgia Garvin was fourth, pursued by Springfield’s Sam Bilbie (fifth) and Harriers’ Ffion Harris (sixth).
The fifth race will be staged by Springfield at Writtle College this Sunday (January 29).
Men’s teams, Pool A: 1 JAFFA 65pts; 2 Colchester Harriers 136; 3 Harwich 320. Pool B: 1 Hadleigh 162pts; 2 Tiptree 268; 3 Halstead 280.
Ladies’ teams, Pool A: 1 JAFFA 16pts; 2 Great Bentley 70; 3 Harwich 76. Pool B: 1 Hadleigh 26pts; 2 Halstead 44; 3 Tiptree 49.
Combined teams, Pool A: 1 JAFFA; 2 Col/Harr; 3 Harwich. Pool B: 1 Hadleigh; 2 Tiptree; 3 Halstead.
League positions (after 4 of 6 races):
Pool A; 1 JAFFA 23pts; 2 Col/Harr 21; 3 Witham 13; 4 Harwich 11; 5 Springfield 9’ 6 Great Bentley 7.
Pool B: 1 Hadleigh 21pts; 2 Halstead 16.5; 3 Tiptree 15.5; 4 Mid-Essex Casuals 11; 5= Colchester & Tendring/53-12