Wins for Hulse and Andrews at Fritton Lake cross country race
- Credit: Archant
Teenager Joshua Hulse, of Ipswich Harriers, tasted victory at the fifth race in the Suffolk Winter League, held on the Suffolk-Norfolk border at Fritton Lake.
Hulse led home a field of 317 senior runners in a time of 23mins 26secs, finishing just one second ahead of Saint Edmund Pacers’ Daniel O’Boyle, who recently ran for Suffolk at the Inter-Counties Championships.
The top five was completed by Bungay Black Dog’s Harry Allcock (23:52), Lowestoft Road Runners’ Robert Chenery (24:01) and Waveney Valley AC’s Dominic Oliver (24:02).
Jim Last, of Framlingham Flyers, was the leading veteran in seventh slot (24:46), while Carl Prewer was first over-45 (25:03) and Felixstowe Road Runners’ Steve Brooke the first over-50 in 18th slot (26:45).
There was a comfortable victory for Jo Andrews, of Bungay BD, in the ladies’ category. Over-45 veteran Andrews registered 26:30, and was only beaten by 17 men.
You may also want to watch:
Jessie Gooderham, of the Pacers, was second in 28:07, followed by club-mate Odette Robson, an over-45 veteran, who posted 29:51. Felow Pacer Cath Jeffery was fourth (29:55) and first over-40, with Waveney Valley’s Jessica Hall fifth (30:10).
Also to the fore were Pacers’ Katie King in sixth (30:18) and Bungay BD’s Lynn Emmett, who was the top over-50 veteran with 30:31 in seventh.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 8 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight
The last event in the league takes place at Haverhill this Sunday.
The supporting junior race at Fritton Park was won by Bungay BD’s Joseph Smith. Club-mate Tess Andrews, an under-13, was the first girl. West Suffolk AC’s Rowan Shearer was the first under-13 boy.
Men’s teams: 1 Lowestoft 2,683pts; 2 Waveney Valley 2,682; 3 Pacers 2,619.
Women’s teams: 1 Pacers 789pts; 2 Lowestoft 751; 3 Bungay & Beccles Harriers 709.
Combined teams: 1 Lowestoft 3,434pts; 2 Pacers 3,408; 3 Waveney V 3,341; 4 Framlingham 3,321.21
Overall league standings (after 5 races):
Men: 1 Waveney V 13,269pts; 2 Fram 13,259; 3 Pacers 13,112.
Women: 1 Pacers 3,877pts; 2 Lowestoft 3,676; 3 Fram 3,579.
Combined: 1 Pacers 16,989pts; 2 Fram 16,838; 3 Waveney V 16,576, 4 Lowestoft 16,401; 5 Stowmarket 15,640.