Witches bid to finish season on high against Bandits
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
The Ipswich Witches end their 2018 Championship campaign at Foxhall today when they face the Berwick Bandits (7.30pm), writes Henry Chard.
Three rain-offs have affected this meeting, leaving both sides frustrated and hoping the weather on finally plays ball this weekend.
The Witches were in action on Thursday evening in another re-arranged fixture against Glasgow and fell to a 49-41 defeat at Foxhall that ended any remaining hopes of a play-off place.
Rider replacement will be in operation at number one for injured captain Danny King and Thomas Jorgensen guests at number five for the injured Rory Schlein.
With just pride to race for, the Witches will be keen to end a difficult season with a win in front of their home fans ahead of the long winter.
Team manager Ritchie Hawkins said: “We need to finish the season with a win. Nobody wants to finish the season with a bad result so we need to do it for the fans and for everyone at the club.
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 9 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
“We need a good performance and all credit to the fans, they have stuck by us this year. We have still been getting good crowds and they have not dropped off as much as they could have done and we owe it to them on Saturday to put in a good performance.
“People have plenty to race for and nobody is going out there to not win races. Riders want to finish on a good meeting and we need to finish the season with a good team performance and a win. We want to have fun and race and enjoy it and win some races.
“We are giving Thomas a go on Saturday and he is someone we have tried to get to guest before but we haven’t been able to do it for whatever reasons. We will see how he gets on and it will be nice to have someone else in the team and see what he is about. I am sure he will want to come in and do well.”
Ipswich: 1) R/R for Danny King 8.83 2) Cameron Heeps 6.19 (captain) 3) Nico Covatti 6.66 4) Mark Riss 5.51 5) Thomas Jorgensen (g) 8.79 6) Coty Garcia 4.26 7) Drew Kemp 2.00.
Berwick: 1) Aaron Summers 6.94 2) David Howe 5.90 3) Jye Etheridge 5.95 4) Kevin Doolan 6.40 (captain) 5) Nicolaj Busk Jakobsen 6.40 6) Dany Gappmaier 5.68 7) Theo Pijper 5.00