Witches' hopes dashed by storm
IPSWICH Evening Star Witches had their hopes of consolidating their play-off position in the Elite League dashed when a heavy storm arrived at Monmore Green half an hour before the scheduled start
IPSWICH Evening Star Witches had their hopes of consolidating their play-off position in the Elite League dashed when a heavy storm arrived at Monmore Green half an hour before the scheduled 7.30pm start time last night.
The Witches were looking to beat bottom of the table Wolverhampton for the second time away from home this speedway season, writes Elvin King.
They were at full strength, apart from long-term injury victim Chris Louis with Jarek Hampel having ridden in Poland on Sunday after recovering from an illness that saw him miss Friday's loss at Lakeside.
Within ten minutes of the rain arriving the track was under water and it was a formality when the referee called a halt by 7.25pm. There was thunder and lightning and so black that you hardly see across the stadium after an untimely storm struck the Midlands.
You may also want to watch:
For most it was a futile trip to these shores having ridden on the continent on Sunday and then jetting out to Sweden for meetings in Scandanavia tonight. The odd one out is Chris Schramm who is set to ride in the Premier League as a 'guest' for Mildenhall.
“We cannot beat the weather,” said Ipswich acting skipper Steve Johnston. “But it is a huge disappointment and very frustrating.
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 New-look Cobbold Stand finished - and what a difference it makes!
- 7 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 8 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
- 9 Crash between two motorbikes
- 10 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
The Witches' next meeting is on Thursday when they entertain Lakeside in the Elite League at Foxhall Stadium.