Witches play-off hopes over after defeat in Cumbria
Workington 50 Ipswich 40
Ipswich Witches hopes of progressing to the play-off final were put to bed at Workington on Saturday night.
The Comets, who came to Foxhall on Thursday and pulled off a fine victory, were in no mood to sacrifice the advantage they had grabbed that night.
Ipswich needed a win to keep their hopes alive but despite the efforts of reserve Ritchie Hawkins, who notched a season’s best 13+2 points, they came up short.
The Suffolk side were not helped by a second race fall for Rohan Tungate which saw him withdraw from the meeting.
You may also want to watch:
However, they never gave up the chase and with six heats to go were two points ahead. Workington came on strong again towards the end however to leave the Witches’ play-off hopes over.
Full report on this and Ipswich’s League Cup Final at Newcastle on Sunday . . . including a picture special, see Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 6 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket