With David McGoldrick and Tom Lawrence injured – who should play up front for Ipswich Town now?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town have suffered a double injury blow with the news that forward duo David McGoldrick and Tom Lawrence have had to withdraw from the Republic of Ireland and Wales squads respectively.
McGoldrick – who has won five full caps for the Republic of Ireland so far – was named in Martin O’Neill’s provisional 39-man squad, but the FAI have confirmed that he is not in the final party of 28 for their World Cup qualifier with Wales and their friendly against Iceland.
The 29-year-old was subbed 12 minutes from the end of Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Cardiff City. It’s understood his knee injury makes him touch-and-go to play against Birmingham City, at Portman Road, a week on Saturday.
Lawrence – Town’s 11-goal top-scorer – has been withdrawn from Wales’ squad today. The Leicester City loanee underwent a scan after playing the full match in South Wales on Saturday. It’s understood a hip problem has been diagnosed and, potentially, he could be sidelined for a number of weeks.
Should the duo both still be out, manager Mick McCarthy would be left with Brett Pitman, Freddie Sears and Kieffer Moore as his striker options for the crunch home clashes with Birmingham and Wigan.
You may also want to watch:
Reading loanee Dominic Samuel continues to recover from a broken toe, Leon Best has been told by manager Mick McCarthy he will never play for the club again, while England Under-18 international Ben Morris is on loan at National League side Woking (with a 24-hour recall).
Speaking last month, he said: “I don’t think I’ve been fully fit since 14 years of age! I do feel good at the minute though, this is the best I’ve felt in a long time.”
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 5 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 8 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 9 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 10 Suffolk 'can't afford' to repair or clear 700 damaged road signs
Cardiff City loanee Emyr Huws has been left out of the Wales squad with a tight hamstring.
Christophe Berra is with Scotland, Kevin Bru with Mauritius, Tommy Smith with New Zealand, while Andre Dozzell and Tristan Nydam are with the England Under-18s.
Meanwhile, Town’s U23s are in action against Crewe Alexandra at Portman Road this evening (7pm ko).
Blues boss Mick McCarthy has confirmed that defender Steven Taylor will play following a hamstring injury, while Jonny Williams may also be involved having returned to training following a hamstring problem of his own.