With David McGoldrick and Tom Lawrence injured – who should play up front for Ipswich Town now?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town have suffered a double injury blow with the news that forward duo David McGoldrick and Tom Lawrence have had to withdraw from the Republic of Ireland and Wales squads respectively.
McGoldrick – who has won five full caps for the Republic of Ireland so far – was named in Martin O’Neill’s provisional 39-man squad, but the FAI have confirmed that he is not in the final party of 28 for their World Cup qualifier with Wales and their friendly against Iceland.
The 29-year-old was subbed 12 minutes from the end of Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Cardiff City. It’s understood his knee injury makes him touch-and-go to play against Birmingham City, at Portman Road, a week on Saturday.
Lawrence – Town’s 11-goal top-scorer – has been withdrawn from Wales’ squad today. The Leicester City loanee underwent a scan after playing the full match in South Wales on Saturday. It’s understood a hip problem has been diagnosed and, potentially, he could be sidelined for a number of weeks.
Should the duo both still be out, manager Mick McCarthy would be left with Brett Pitman, Freddie Sears and Kieffer Moore as his striker options for the crunch home clashes with Birmingham and Wigan.
You may also want to watch:
Reading loanee Dominic Samuel continues to recover from a broken toe, Leon Best has been told by manager Mick McCarthy he will never play for the club again, while England Under-18 international Ben Morris is on loan at National League side Woking (with a 24-hour recall).
Speaking last month, he said: “I don’t think I’ve been fully fit since 14 years of age! I do feel good at the minute though, this is the best I’ve felt in a long time.”
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
Cardiff City loanee Emyr Huws has been left out of the Wales squad with a tight hamstring.
Christophe Berra is with Scotland, Kevin Bru with Mauritius, Tommy Smith with New Zealand, while Andre Dozzell and Tristan Nydam are with the England Under-18s.
Meanwhile, Town’s U23s are in action against Crewe Alexandra at Portman Road this evening (7pm ko).
Blues boss Mick McCarthy has confirmed that defender Steven Taylor will play following a hamstring injury, while Jonny Williams may also be involved having returned to training following a hamstring problem of his own.