Wolves v Ipswich Town nostalgia: A winning return for McCarthy at Molineux
- Credit: Archant
In this week’s nostalgia, we take a look back to when Mick McCarthy enjoyed a winning return to Molineux as his Ipswich side beat Wolves 2-0, thanks to goals from Aaron Cresswell and DJ Campbell, on 29 December 2012.
Mick McCarthy enjoyed a winning return to Molineux as Ipswich beat his former side Wolves 2-0 on December 29, 2012.
McCarthy was back in the Black Country for the first time since being sacked in February, ending a six-year spell with Wanderers, and was joined by assistant Terry Connor, who succeeded him in the Wolves hotseat before being replaced by Norwegian Stale Solbakken.
A great ovation greeted the pair before kick-off, and the returning duo saw their side in front in the 33rd minute as Aaron Cresswell opened the scoring in style with a fine right foot finish.
The Blues made it 2-0 on the hour mark as DJ Campbell raced onto Bradley Orr’s long ball and waited for the right moment before sending a composed finish under Wolves keeper Karl Ikeme to secure all three points.
You may also want to watch:
It was the seventh win in 12 games for McCarthy, having taken over with the Blues rock bottom at the start of November.
Town XI: Henderson, Cresswell, Chambers, Smith, Orr, Edwards, N’Daw, Martin, Drury (Reo-Coker 70), Campbell (Chopra 80), Murphy. Not used: Loach, Higginbotham, Emmanuel-Thomas, Hyam, Jason Scotland.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 9 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 10 'It wasn't good for all our hearts' - Roberts delight after Town comeback win