Wonder strike by Holmes wins it
A WONDER strike by Ricky Holmes in injury time gave Chelmsford City all three points against Harlow in the Ryman League Premier Division last night.RYMAN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISIONChelmsford City 2 Harlow 1CHELMSFORD City snatched a late 2-1 victory over Harlow victory through Ricky Holmes' wonder strike in injury time to move up to second in the Ryman League Premier Division table.
A WONDER strike by Ricky Holmes in injury time gave Chelmsford City all three points against Harlow in the Ryman League Premier Division last night.
RYMAN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Chelmsford City 2 Harlow 1
CHELMSFORD City snatched a late 2-1 victory over Harlow victory through Ricky Holmes' wonder strike in injury time to move up to second in the Ryman League Premier Division table.
On a night when Billericay Town went down at Folkestone Invicta the Clarets moved five points ahead of their local rivals.
Jeff King's side breathed a collective sigh of relief as young winger Holmes survived a succession of heavy challenges to slam into the corner past goalkeeper Michael Dumoulin, from the edge of the area, capping an improved second-half performance.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 5 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 Suffolk brand worn by pop star Ed Sheeran opens new store
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following MK Dons victory
- 9 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
The first period was largely forgettable except for one goal to each side.
In the 28th minute, a determined run from a team-mate enabled Leon Lalite to carve a brilliant finish with the outside of his boot into the net and hand Harlow the lead, but just six minutes later, a deep corner kick to the far post was delivered for central defender Andy Duncan to rise highest and equalise with a firm header.
After the interval Holmes suffered a series of heavy tackles, including many kicks from the visitors' uncompromising defenders.
He even had the hands of Lelite round his neck late in the game but he had the last laugh with a quality finish to grab all the points for Chelmsford.