Brentford 1 Colchester United 1
ANTHONY Wordsworth salvaged a point for 10-man Colchester United, thanks to a sublime free-kick in the 90th minute at Brentford tonight.
The U’s under-performed in west London and seemed to be heading for defeat when Clayton Donaldson fired the Bees into a 56th minute lead.
An equaliser seemed even more unlikely following John-Joe O’Toole’s red card in the 81st minute, for a late and dangerous tackle on Myles Weston.
But with the game about to enter five minutes of injury-time, up stepped Wordsworth to blast a wonderful 20-yard free-kick into the far corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Keeper Richard Lee never stood a chance as Wordsworth celebrated his fifth goal of the season.
The U’s hardly deserved this point, but it made up for the disappointment of conceding an injury-time equaliser to Leyton Orient on Saturday.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 6 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
They were also indebted to keeper Mark Cousins for a number of excellent saves, which prevented in-form Brentford from establishing an unassailable lead.