Woodbridge and Walsham hit 13 between them on Thurlow Nunn opening day!
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech St Mary 3 Woodbridge Town 7
Woodbridge Town opened their Thurlow Nunn First Division campaign with victory in a 10-goal game at Wisbech St Mary.
The Peckers opened the scoring after five minutes.
A through ball by George Bowman found Callum Sinclair on the right-wing who beat the full-back and crossed for Ryan Keeble to side-foot the ball into the net. Woodbridge were on top, and on 20 minutes they increased their lead, Ray won the ball in midfield and put in Keeble who slid the ball past the Wisbech goalkeeper. It was three at half-time when Ray netted a penalty for the visitors.
Wisbech came out for the second half in determined mood and a through ball by Lewis Gibson found Jack Friend who scored from close-range.
You may also want to watch:
The home side were now on top and Friend toe-poked the ball past Alfie Strong to make the score 3-2.
On 70 minutes Woodbridge scored their fourth goal when a good ball out of defence by Liam Scopes found Jake Green who passed it on to Sinclair who beat his full-back and crossed for Ray to net.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Matt MacKenzie replaced Sinclair and Bowman was replaced by Alex Greggor as the goals flowed in the final minutes. Three minutes from time a mistake by a Wisbech defender let in Mackenzie who ran through to score to make it 5-2. On 90 minutes a through ball by Taylor Southgate to MacKenzie made it 6-2.
Wisbech continued to attack and Nick Davey scored leaving the Woodbridge keeper Alfie Strong stranded. But Woodbridge had the final say as Ray completed his hat-trick.
Meanwhile Long Melford and Brantham shared a point in a goalless draw. at Stoneylands. Brantham had more of the possession but home ‘keeper Darren Moyes was in excellent form. Also in Thurlow One, Needham Reserves were thrashed 6-1 at Swaffham.
In the Premier Division, Paul Smith’s Walsham-le-Willows side got off to a cracking start as they hammered FC Clacton 6-0 at the Rush Green Bowl. The game was all over at the break with Walsham 5-0 up. New-boys Coggeshall started their new season well, with a 3-0 win at Fakenham, while Thetford won 3-1 at Stanway.