Woodbridge beaten 15-13 at home by Wisbech

Woodbridge v Wisbech

Woodbridge v Wisbech - Credit: Archant

Fourth-placed Woodbridge hosted third-placed Wisbech with both sides unbeaten in 2016, so this was inevitably going to be a tight match.

Woodbridge v Wisbech

Woodbridge v Wisbech - Credit: Archant

The 80-mile journey from Wisbech appeared to be leave the visitors slightly jaded, with a succession of handling errors following a scruffy start to the game.

Woodbridge’s defence was holding firm and they were to benefit from a number of penalties for not releasing the ball as Woodbridge sought to steal.

Much of the play was taking place in a narrow part of the field, centred on the halfway line.

Woodbridge fly-half JP Hart put in a well weighted cross-field ball which was well fielded by Sam Jackson who accelerated for the line before unselfishly passing to David Price to touch down out wide.

You may also want to watch:

The conversion went begging. Skippy Parsons was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes late in the half for misuse of the boot but Woodbridge were unable to take advantage of their numerical superiority.

Following some minor handbags, Wisbech put a kick about 15 metres into the Woodbridge half. From the resulting line-out a driving maul took play up to five metres from the Woodbridge try line.

Most Read

An astonishing use of a team tackle carried a Wisbech player into touch when he was over the line and merely needed to ground the ball to score.

From yet another pick up at the base of the scrum by Jono Cooke, the ball was fed to Jacob Bodkin who went over in the corner.

Woodbridge led 10-0 at the break but the visitors gained the ascendency in the scrummage and they continued to out-perform the hosts at the line out, in the second half.

In due course Wisbech’s second row Ben Chapman scored a try which went unconverted.

The match continued to be played to a large degree in the centre of the pitch but Wisbech were to score again through James Napier and this was converted by James Malkin.

A knock-on by Wisbech at the lineout led to a scrum from which the visitors were adjudged offside and Bodkin slotted the three points making the game 13-12.

Jackson continued to put in strong runs into the 22 but late in the game he was penalised for a high tackle and sent to the sin-bin.

From this, Wisbech scrum-half Malkin scored the three points that took them to their 15-13 victory and cemented their advantage in the league.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter