Woodbridge Rugby Club hosts tenth U7-U12 festival
- Credit: Archant
More than 90 teams from 10 clubs enjoyed the tenth Woodbridge Rugby Club U7-U12 Festival, a celebration of youth rugby, writes Simon Ballard.
Squads with players from as young as six came from Chelmsford, Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich YM, Southwold, Ipswich, Colchester, Hadleigh, Mersea, Felixstowe and Woodbridge to compete.
Rob Simpson, chairman of Woodbridge Rugby Club, said the day was a great success. He added: “We are thrilled our tenth U7-U12 Rugby Festival has been so well supported yet again.
“Players from a wide of range of clubs across East Anglia attended and the Woodbridge Rugby Club Committee is very proud to be providing this opportunity to play festival rugby for children who are starting their rugby journeys.
“I thank all the coaches and parents who made the trip to Woodbridge, the players who played with such spirit and in particular the long list of volunteers at Woodbridge who helped to organise and run such a thoroughly enjoyable event.”
You may also want to watch:
Mike Bolton, under 9’s head coach at Ipswich, said: “This was our first “contact” festival and Woodbridge Rugby Club did not disappoint us.
“The organisation was simple and seamless and this made the players and parents relax and enjoy the day. I also thought the refereeing was great, using the younger refs was a great idea, and this seemed to be respected by all those spectating and playing.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
“We always enjoy coming to Woodbridge Rugby Club and look forward to our next fixture there. Thanks again for flying the rugby flag for Suffolk.”
Woodbridge Rugby Club has a huge youth section with a growing membership of some 370 boys and girls, the largest in the area.