Woodbridge Saxons claim bragging rights over Ipswich in rugby derby
- Credit: Archant
Eastern Counties 3 Woodbridge Saxons 40 Ipswich 3s 17 With the lines swept and repainted and a nod from the ref, Jez Hannon led his Saxons into the frozen wasteland, writes Chris North.
With the lines swept and repainted and a nod from the ref, Jez Hannon led his Saxons into the frozen wasteland.
Ipswich took the kick and soon after were awarded a line out. Ipswich must have had the heaters on the drive down as quick hands saw their wing go over in the corner.
Then Ipswich returned the restart kick and a big forward skipped through and scored to make it 12-0 in short order.
The Saxons woke up, Tony Moseley made a break down the wing and then it was Matthew North’s turn to charge up the line where he made a beautiful off load.
You may also want to watch:
A Woodbridge scrum saw Aldis Salavejs thunder from the back and off load to James Dewing who scored. That started a back and forward game until Ipswich kicked through and their wing almost scored but knocked on over the line.
The arctic wind played havoc with the line-out but it worked in the Saxons favour and Salavejs was unstoppable as he broke free to score, 14-12.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 4 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Matchday Live: Goalless at the break in first game of a new era at Town
- 9 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 10 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
Just before the half, the human wrecking ball Tony Moseley went it alone and stepped the Ipswich full back to score and make it 21-12 at the break.
The Saxons came out firing after the restart and Jamie Smith ran around Ipswich to score. This wasn’t enough for the Saxons and Josh Sugrue drove over but the try was disallowed. Fired up, he made sure he got the ball over the try line on the next play and took three Ipswich players with him.
Ten minutes to go and Chris North stepped onto the battlefield in a blue shirt for the first time this season as Ipswich applied the pressure.
But the Saxons defence was too strong and got the ball back to clear down field, Ipswich came straight back, forcing North to run it back into the Ipswich half where some great work from forwards and backs sets Salavejs free and he broke free to score his second try.
The last play of the game saw Ipswich do the same and score.