Woodbridge Rugby Club to host Seckford Shield Touch Rugby Tournament 2018
- Credit: Archant
Following previous successful tournaments, Woodbridge Rugby Club is to host this year’s Seckford Shield Community Touch Rugby Tournament from 12 noon on Saturday, August 18, writes Simon Ballard.
The tournament sees local squads of 7 players, from local pubs and teams, do battle in 20 minute matches until a winner is crowned at the end of the day.
Touch rugby is a shorter version of rugby that is not full contact and suitable for mixed teams with ages from 14-years-old and upwards.
Games are seven-a-side with unlimited substitutions and at least one female player must be on the pitch at all times. To welcome beginners to the sport a short, informal and light training session will be held from 11am on the day.
Kerri Ehret, tournament organiser, said: “The Seckford Shield has become a regular fixture in the Woodbridge calendar.
You may also want to watch:
“Any initiative which encourages people to become more active must be welcomed. Rugby doesn’t have to be a full contact sport and the O2 Touch programme enables everyone, young or old, male or female, to have a go, get fit and have fun.
“With the new rugby season just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to come down to your local friendly Club; Woodbridge RFC and try this gentle version of rugby.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 5 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 6 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
“Our club offers rugby from U6 for boys and girls, men and women as well as wheelchair rugby so all are welcome”.
Andrew Wilesmith, coaching coordinator added: “It’s great to have the Seckford Shield back. It’s a fantastic event that brings the local community together at one of the premier clubs in the area.
“Woodbridge is a truly inclusive club with a thriving boys and girls programme and a men’s and women’s team that welcomes everyone. “The touch element is a great way to give back to such a supportive community.”
The event will be held at the club’s ground – Hatchley Barn, Orford Road, Bromeswell, Suffolk, IP12 2PP.