Wordsworth pens new deal
COLCHESTER United midfielder Anthony Wordsworth is set to sign a new two-and-a-half contract at the club this afternoon.
The 22-year-old left-footer – who has scored 19 goals in 92 appearances for the U’s since progressing through the youth team ranks – was due to see his previous deal expire in the summer.
It has been a busy day for the Essex club who have also extended striker David Mooney’s loan until the end of the season and signed Irish Under-21 left-sided player Conor Powell.
Reacting to Wordsworth’s new deal, Ward said: “Anthony got into double figures last season and has been the subject of much attention.
“He is a young lad, he has come through the ranks and I absolutely delighted he has decided to stay.
“We have been talking about a team for the town, so it’s an excellent situation for us to help psuh his career on. If we can help with taht I would be delighted.
“He has become an integral part of the team in the last 18 months and I am looking forward to working with him further.”
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 8 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 9 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 10 55 projects identified in major plans to transform transport
After a quiet first half of the season by his high standards, Wordsworth has returned to form recently by scoring a goal in the last two games.
– For all the latest following a busy day at Colchester United, see tomorrow’s EADT.