Wordsworth pens new deal
COLCHESTER United midfielder Anthony Wordsworth is set to sign a new two-and-a-half contract at the club this afternoon.
The 22-year-old left-footer – who has scored 19 goals in 92 appearances for the U’s since progressing through the youth team ranks – was due to see his previous deal expire in the summer.
It has been a busy day for the Essex club who have also extended striker David Mooney’s loan until the end of the season and signed Irish Under-21 left-sided player Conor Powell.
Reacting to Wordsworth’s new deal, Ward said: “Anthony got into double figures last season and has been the subject of much attention.
“He is a young lad, he has come through the ranks and I absolutely delighted he has decided to stay.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been talking about a team for the town, so it’s an excellent situation for us to help psuh his career on. If we can help with taht I would be delighted.
“He has become an integral part of the team in the last 18 months and I am looking forward to working with him further.”
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 8 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 9 AFC Wimbledon 3-0 Ipswich Town: Woeful Blues well-beaten at Plough Lane in 'season-defining' game
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
After a quiet first half of the season by his high standards, Wordsworth has returned to form recently by scoring a goal in the last two games.
– For all the latest following a busy day at Colchester United, see tomorrow’s EADT.