Wright moves to the Saints
FORMER Ipswich Town keeper Richard Wright has joined Southampton on loan from West Ham.He has gone to the Saints on a one-month deal after Saints boss Nigel Pearson lost three keepers in a month to freak injuries.
FORMER Ipswich Town keeper Richard Wright has joined Southampton on loan from West Ham.
He has gone to the Saints on a one-month deal after Saints boss Nigel Pearson lost three keepers in a month to freak injuries.
Kelvin Davis dislocated a finger when he caught it in another player's shorts, and Bartosz Bialkowski is out for the season after his thumb got in the way of a goal-line clearance while playing for the reserves.
You may also want to watch:
Michael Poke, only recently recalled from a loan spell at non-league Torquay, then suffered an ankle-ligament injury during the warm-up ahead of Saints' 5-0 drubbing at Hull - although he bravely completed the game.
Andrej Pernecky provided goalkeeping cover on the bench at Hull - a day before his 17th birthday.
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 7 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 8 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
Wright turned down the chance to play first team football for Ipswich last summer, preferring to sit on the bench as back up to Rob Green at Upton Park.
The Ex England and Everton keeper has made just three Carling Cup appearances this season and is set to make his Southampton debut against Coventry on Saturday.
Pearson said: “I am delighted to have got Richard. He is a proven goalkeeper with plenty of experience.
"It is a bizarre run of injuries but there is no point being negative. We had to address the situation and I am very pleased to have Richard on board."