Ipswich Town drawn away to Exeter City in Carabao Cup
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town have been drawn away to Exeter City in the first round of the Carabao Cup.
Plymouth aside, this 500+ round trip to Devon was the longest possible journey the Blues could have been handed in the south section of the draw – which was conducted in Vietnam this morning.
The Grecians finished fourth in League Two last season and went on to lose to Coventry City in the Play-Off Final. Long-serving manager Paul Tisdale subsequently departed and has been replaced by Matty Taylor.
Town last faced Exeter back in August 2010, goals from Ronan Murray and David Norris (2) securing an extra-time win that kick-started a run to the semi-finals of the League Cup.
Extra-time has been scrapped this season, with matches going straight to penalties if level after 90 minutes. And those shoot-outs will return to the traditional method of each team taking turns following last season’s trial with the ABBA system.
You may also want to watch:
First round ties will be played in the week beginning August 13.
The Blues have exited this competition to lower league opposition in five of the last seven campaigns.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival