Yeates ensures point by the seaside
Blackpool 2 Colchester United 2TWO fantastic free-kicks from Mark Yeates earned draw specialists Colchester United another good point at Blackpool this afternoon.
By Carl Marston
Blackpool 2 Colchester United 2
TWO fantastic free-kicks from Mark Yeates earned draw specialists Colchester United another good point at Blackpool this afternoon.
Twice the Seasiders took the lead, but twice they were pegged by spectacular 25-yard free-kicks from Yeates, who has now bagged five goals for the season, and four over the last week.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Morrell stabbed Blackpool ahead from close range in the 54th minute, after the U's had failed to clear a corner. Their lead lasted nine minutes, until Yeates saw his powerfully-struck free-kick ricochet into the net off the far post.
Right-back Shaun Barker appeared to have won the game for the hosts on 84 minutes. He headed home David Fox's corner, but the orange-clad home fans did not have long to celebrate.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 6 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
Another free-kick was conceded from distance, and again Yeates stunned the Bloomfield Road crowd with a marvellous strike, giving keeper Paul Rachubka no chance as it fizzed in at the near post.
It was another battling team display from the U's, but in truth they had Yeates to thank for rescuing a point.