Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 6°C

min temp: -0°C

Kings of Anglia Issue 9 Magazine Offer

Yeovil Town 0 Colchester United 1, match report: Sean Murray on target in U’s first away win

PUBLISHED: 16:54 30 September 2017 | UPDATED: 17:03 30 September 2017

Sean Murray celebrates his first-half goal at Yeovil Town this afternoon. It was his first goal in a U's shirt. Picture Pagepix

Sean Murray celebrates his first-half goal at Yeovil Town this afternoon. It was his first goal in a U's shirt. Picture Pagepix

Pagepix Ltd

Yeovil Town 0 Colchester United 1

Sean Murray chalked up his first goal in a Colchester United shirt as the U’s celebrated their first away win of the season, at the sixth time of asking.

Murray’s winner arrived in the 43rd minute.

A slick U’s move ended with Kyel Reid teeing up Murray, and the ex-Swindon midfielder’s well-struck low shot from the edge of the box flew in at near corner of the net.

The U’s had been coasting at 1-0 up in this same fixture last season, only to ship two goals in the last five minutes to lose 2-1, but history did not repeat itself today.

They defended well and deserved their first clean-sheet of the campaign.

The U’s showed just one change to the side that drew 2-2 at Grimsby in midweek, Murray replacing Brandon Comley in central midfield.

It was a very quiet opening, although Reid, fresh from his brace of goals at Blundell Park, scuffed a 20-yarder wide on four minutes.

Yeovil, unbeaten at home this season, threatened first in the 13th minute when leading scorer Olufela Olomola’s snap shot was deflected over the bar off the boot of Doug Loft.

Two minutes later and Otis Khan, Yeovil’s second highest scorer (four goals) curled a 20-yarder only a foot wide of target, with Sam Walker at full stretch, as the home side enjoyed a purple patch.

The first goal-bound effort, from either side, did not arrive until the half-way mark of the first period, when Walker punched away a long-range free-kick by right-back Thomas James.

The Glovers had the ball in the back of the net in the 25th minute, through Olomola’s close-range effort, but referee Antony Coggis had already blown his whistle for a foul by Omar Sowunmi inside the six-yard box.

The U’s went close on the half-hour mark. Brandon Hanlan’s header, from Drey Wright’s teasing cross, was cleared off the goal-line by defender James, and the follow-up header by Ryan Inniss drifted wide of target.

Murray had a couple of goal-bound shots blocked, by well-placed Yeovil defenders on the edge of the six-yard box, as the U’s finished the first half strongly.

And Murray was not to be denied on 43 minutes, as he drilled the visitors into a 1-0 lead. He buried a low shot from Reid’s low-off into the bottom corner of the net, for his first goal in a Colchester shirt.

Yeovil tried to respond before the break. Walker diverted away a low cross bt Jake Gray, and defender Sid Nelson then headed a good chance off target from the ensuing corner, in first-half stoppage time.

Into the second half and Hanlan had a shot on the turn well smothered by keeper Artur Krysiak on 50 minutes.

Yeovil huffed and puffed, with manager Darren Way making all three substitutions in a bid to shake it up, but the U’s comfortably held on.

And there was also the welcome sight of Kurtis Guthrie appearing as a substitute in stoppage time, for the first time since February.


YEOVIL TOWN: Krysiak, James, Nelson, Sowunmi, Dickson, Worthington, Bailey, Gray (sub Green, 53), Khan, Zoko (sub Browne, 75), Olomola (sub Surridge, 66). Unused subs: Maddison, Davies, Smith, Santos.

COLCHESTER UNITED: Walker, Jackson, Inniss, Kent, Vincent-Young, Wright, Loft (sub Comley, 69) Murray, Reid, Mandron, Hanlan (sub Guthriel 90+1). Unused subs: Gilmartin, Lapslie, Kpekawa, Kabamba, Odelusi,

Referee: Antony Coggins (Bicester)

Ipswich Town have taken up their option to extend Freddie Sears’ contract until the summer of 2020.

Jon Nolan is back in the team under Paul Lambert. STUART WATSON spoke to the midfielder about Paul Hurst’s sacking, stepping up to the Championship and the visit of Wigan.

Paul Lambert will continue to ‘protect’ talented midfielder Teddy Bishop as the youngster strives for fitness following a long injury lay-off.

Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert says he won’t sanction any player departures until he has signed the players he wants in January.

Former Ipswich Town striker Marcus Stewart has asked to leave Bristol Rovers following the departure of Darrell Clarke this morning.

Signing strikers will be a top priority for Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert in January. ANDY WARREN looks at names who could fit the bill for the Blues.

In our daily feature, we take a look at what happened on this day in Ipswich Town’s history. Today features a goal from Tony Mowbray in a European triumph, plus a victory over Leeds United.

Paul Lambert spoke to the media this afternoon ahead of Saturday’s visit of Wigan Athletic.

Midfielder Cole Skuse believes he is ahead of schedule after undergoing a minor operation on the knee injury which is expected to keep him out for eight weeks.

Freddie Sears knows Ipswich Town must add goals to their team, with the January transfer window just around the corner.

Most read

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24