Yisan Rodriguez’s ABA dream at an end
Hurstlea ABC boxer Yisan Rodriguez saw his ABA dream come to an end at the weekend as the Cuban-born fighter lost on points to Bristol’s Sam Pomphrey in the quarter-finals on Sunday.
The 24-year-old, representing the Needham Market-based club came up against last year’s champion at the Halfway House, Brentwood in the under-81kg bout, but missed out in the last-eight tie.
Hurstlea coach Keith James said: “It was a very close fight but Yisan came up a little bit short.
“His opponent was a very good kid and won the title last year and you don’t win an ABA title through luck, this is elite competition.
“Yisan gave a good account of himself but where he goes from here now, who knows?
“He can wait a year for the next ABA competition or he may choose to go professional. We will have a chat about that this weekend.”
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 7 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 8 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 9 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 10 The best fossil hunting spots across East Anglia